Reporting to the Senior Finance Manager and based full-time in Edinburgh, the role holder will have the core responsibility for the management and delivery of various planning, budgeting and reporting exercises.
Well known global education organisation
Key duties and responsibilities:
FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT AND BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT
Providing insightful, timely and understandable information which identifies key cost drivers and control measures.
FINANCIAL BUDGETING AND PLANNING
Support the development of a rolling five-year financial plan:
- Consolidation of individual plans for each of the areas
- Undertake analytical review and trend analysis to advise on the alignment/compliance of individual Directorate plans with the objective of a compliant coherent, consolidated plan.
- Support and challenge assumptions, using professional judgement and experience
- Take the leading role in pre-planning and Planning Round meetings, adhering to the timetable and process defined by the Finance Manager (Planning).
- Ensure that action points flowing from planning rounds meetings are followed up and resolved timeously with relevant Management Accountants ahead of the Planning Round.
MANAGEMENT ACCOUNTING, ANALYSIS AND REPORTING
Manage the production of timely monthly management accounting information including:
- management of the team responsible for preparation, ensuring consistent standard
- identification and analysis of key financial trends, including quarterly reforecasts of year-end outturn
- identification and analysis of material variances against budget
- creation of a value-add commentary on the financial performance for inclusion of the consolidated monthly management accounting pack
- creation, analysis and reconciliation of certain local balance sheet items
The role-holder must also keep up to date with trends in reporting and performance management, propose improvements to their line manager, and deliver process or reporting improvements as agreed.
FINANCIAL ANALYSIS AND DATA
Preparation of Financial Statements:
- Assign responsibilities among the Management Accounting team for production of elements of the notes, analytical review and commentary; and drive delivery within tight deadlines.
LEADERSHIP OF FINANCE TEAM
Manage the team of management accountants who support individual service functions:
- ensuring that they operate to a uniform, consistent standard, with appropriate distribution of workload;
- continually reviewing the team's organisational structure and capability set to ensure they are maintained at optimum efficiency and effectiveness; and
- addressing all aspects of people management, objective setting, development and review across the team.
- At least five years of post-qualification financial and management accounting experience within a large, complex organisation.
- Has managed budgeting and strategic planning within a complex environment.
- Has developed business cases with non-finance professionals and presented these at senior level.
- Has managed a team including both qualified and non-qualified finance professionals.
- Proven experience of working as part of a multidisciplinary team; characterised in this role in terms of the variety of professional services functions.
- Has extensive experience of working with and influencing senior management. Has experience of working within a matrix organisational structure.
Competitive basic salary and package