Financial Operations Analyst (Treasury Accounting)
Organization: World Bank Sector: Finance & Accounting
Department/Division: IFC Treasury Support Operations Chennai (WFATC) & Grade: GE
Term Duration: 3 years 0 months
Required Language(s): English
The current position is that of a Financial Operations Analyst in the IFC Treasury Support Operations unit in Chennai (WFATC). This is a technically specialized position that will support processing and accounting operations of Treasury transactions, including bonds, derivatives, etc. The position requires thorough knowledge of treasury products, and relevant accounting standards, as well as proficiency in handling multiple systems, including Summit (the front-to-back treasury system), payment processing systems, etc. The selected candidate will be required to work with various team functions and become a fully functional team member within a short time-frame. The position requires the ability to establish productive relationships with staff at all levels within the team and across various units of IFC.
The incumbent will be supervised by the Financial Operations Officer in WFATC, Chennai. The staff should be open to flexible hours and follow the HQ holiday calendar, as the work program involves dealing with global markets.
Roles & Responsibilities:
The Financial Operations Analyst will work as part of a team of professionals to meet the Division’s responsibilities as they relate to delivery of back-office and accounting functions for all IFC Treasury funding and liquid assets management activities. Responsibilities will include the following:
- Perform daily and monthly sub-ledger control activities and analysis to ensure accurate and full recording of transactions in accordance with policies and procedures
- Assist in timely and accurate monthly close process, including preparation of monthly reports and adjusting entries in sub-ledger
- Assist in Treasury Support unit transaction processing, settlement, and cash related activities
- Participate in development, testing, and implementation of new/enhancement of systems and processes
- Develop and sustain effective relationships with internal and external partners and clients, including market counterparts, custodians, agents, and banks
- Communicate effectively with other units both in Chennai and Washington, D.C. (HQ)
- Document and maintain processes, controls and checks for the Treasury Support unit
- Seek quality and performance improvement opportunities and solutions
- Act as back-up in the absence of other Treasury Support unit staff.
Education and Experience:
- Advanced degree(s) in Accounting, Finance, and/or Economics and a minimum of 3 years or more relevant experience in accounting pertaining to financial instruments, loans transactions, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- CGMA / CPA / CA / ACCA AND/OR CFA / FRM strongly preferred
- Experience in related fields with a public / private financial institution (including IFC/IBRD) or the finance / treasury function of a public / private corporation.
Core Technical Knowledge:
- In-depth knowledge of treasury products / financial instrument accounting
- Good knowledge of treasury products / financial instruments and their processing
- Good knowledge of treasury back office controls and reporting
- Good knowledge of Summit application, SWIFT, and other settlement systems would be a distinct advantage
- Ability to contribute to team performance with strong interpersonal and communication skills
- A positive and self-starter attitude (motivation, drive, initiative); and ability to work in a team-oriented, and multi-cultural environment
- Fluency in written and spoken English required.
- Deliver results for clients – Takes full ownership to address client needs.
- Demonstrates initiative, independence and autonomy in addressing client needs in changing business contexts and environments. Allocates and prioritizes resources according to areas of most urgent need and greatest impact for the client.
- Collaborate within teams and across boundaries – Adopts a collaborative approach to improve overall effectiveness outside the unit as well and displays an open helpful attitude toward others. Approaches conflicts as common problems to be solved. Demonstrates understanding of and acts to incorporate multiple perspectives. Frames thinking/actions with a WBG corporate perspective in mind.
- Lead and innovate – Initiates changes to work processes to improve efficiency and performance. Applies creativity, flexibility and persistence to develop new approaches. Considers own behavior in context of WBG's values and mission and recognizes impact on others. Frames problems and recommends solutions.
- Create, Apply and Share Knowledge – Actively promotes knowledge-sharing.
- Takes ownership for organization of knowledge-sharing and learning activities.
- Contributes to the knowledge of the work group and beyond. Uses feedback to develop self and mentor others. Builds personal and professional networks within and beyond the work group.
- Make Smart Decisions – Analyzes data to support and enable decision making. Anticipates, researches, reviews, and analyzes available data and relevant empirical evidence, including lessons learned. Understands risk and can provide basic assessment using cost-benefit analysis. Uses critical thinking and good judgment to make decisions. Supports decisions, takes action and ensures appropriate follow-up actions are taken.
- Broad Business Thinking – Maintains an in-depth understanding of the long term implications of decisions both for the team and client’s business. Ensures that decisions are supported by relevant stakeholders as well as sound performance data. Effectively communicates recommended changes to clients and how they will affect their business while attempting to minimize day-to-day disruption of operations.
- Project Management – Develops and implements realistic and achievable work plans for group or project team – including tasks, priorities, resources and schedules. Establishes priorities, identifies critical tasks, and pushes projects forward in a timely fashion. Establishes controls to detect problems early and notify those involved if deadlines are affected. Creates opportunities and solutions that address more difficult or abstract situations. Creates and adapts solutions to address unusual data or novel situations.
- Analytical Thinking – Coordinates the information gathering and reporting process. Reviews trends and compares to expectations. Conducts research to define problems and prepares responses to anticipated questions. Prioritizes multiple issues and opportunities. Identifies relationships and linkages within several information sources. Anticipates issues that are not clear on the surface. Identifies root causes and effects. Reports and identifies areas that need guidance to resolve complex issues. Anticipates the possible outcome of potential solutions.
- Policies and Procedures – Seek out opportunities to further understanding of relevant policies and guidance. Identify areas for improvements in existing policies and procedures. Emulate best practices in completing own work program. Provides guidance to junior staff and plays a role in transferring skills and knowledge to others.
- Risks and Controls – Demonstrate understanding of key risks and internal control procedures in the related processes. Able to identify key risks and mitigating control steps in own functional areas. Perform internal control procedures in compliance with the overall risk and control framework. Takes proactive measures to know the internal control procedures (e.g., talks with business leaders about their goals and priorities).
- Information Technology and Systems – Leverage information technology systems and applications to improve productivity and efficiency. Provide inputs to IT system enhancement efforts based on day-to-day working experience and knowledge of the systems.
Communication – Utilize appropriate tools and techniques to explain technical information in plain language. Present information in a logical and organized manner both in speech and in writing. Writes effective correspondence, prepares questions and reports, statements of circumstance and briefing notes.
If the selected candidate is a current World Bank Group staff member with a Regular or Open-Ended appointment, s/he will retain his/her Regular or Open-Ended appointment. All others will be offered a 3 years 0 months term appointment.
The World Bank Group values diversity and encourages all qualified candidates who are nationals of World Bank Group member countries to apply, regardless of gender, gender identity, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or disability. Sub-Saharan African nationals, Caribbean nationals, and female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.