In House Tax Manager, Brighton, £60,000 + Package
This role has come about due to significant growth since their inception, accompanied by an evolving business model, increased international presence and structural complexity through their Joint Venture Partnership model. As a result, tax compliance and planning has become an increasingly prominent area, this is the appropriate time to bring key aspects of global tax management in-house.
Across the world, there is increasing demand for top quality higher education, with more and more students demanding access to provision beyond their home country. This global organisation partners with universities in three continents to address this global demand and help transform their international capacity and performance.
This newly created opportunity has arisen to support the Head of Tax (newly appointed in August 2016) in the overall objective of responding more effectively to the changing taxation needs and demands of a business which has seen significant international growth & increasing business complexity. The group seeks to minimise its tax liabilities, whilst ensuring full tax compliance, to avoid unnecessary tax. The role reports to the Group Head of Tax, working alongside her and the wider finance team.
The successful candidate will be a self-starter, able to work as part of a busy team.
- Provide internal VAT/indirect taxes technical knowledge and capability. To be utilised particularly in respect of:
- preparation/review of group entity VAT returns, including special partial exemption calculation.
- consideration of the existing process for the preparation of the VAT returns and to identify/implement changes to improve the process to maximise efficiency in preparation and accuracy to minimise associated risk
- assisting with associated HMRC queries
- providing assistance with ad hoc VAT queries from group members
- assisting with implementation of VAT initiatives
- providing internal tax technical training, at the appropriate level
- assisting with ad hoc non-UK indirect tax queries
- Support the statutory accounts and budget processes in terms of tax disclosures and liabilities.
- likely to include specific work on deferred tax disclosures
- Support the Head of Tax on other ad hoc tax queries and tax planning initiatives being undertaken by the group. This may include initiatives across a number of territories (particularly, UK, USA, Hong Kong & China) including corporate tax, transfer pricing, VAT, income tax and employee mobility.
- likely to include researching tax technical matters
- Support the Head of Tax in embedding a clear tax governance process throughout the business.
- Work with the business and IT teams to implement appropriate processes and systems to ensure tax compliance throughout the business.
- Support the Head of Tax in keeping the group up to date with key tax technical changes
- Work with external tax advisors where necessary.
Ideally you will possess the following qualifications and experience:
- Be Tax or Accountancy qualified or part-qualified
- Have experience in dealing with VAT issues
- Excellent communication skills
£50,000 - £60,000 + bonus + benefits