Why Choose Us?
This is an exciting time to join the Finance team at DCLG. Our vision is for a strong, strategic and influential Finance team, positioned at the heart of the Department, facilitating decisions at the highest level. Our objective is for the directorate to provide excellent service, improve value in everything we do, and be a great place to work. We want staff of all grades to feel empowered to lead change and continuous improvement, irrespective of their grade or role.
The Financial Reporting and Accounts Team (FRAT) is responsible for the production of the IFRS based DCLG Consolidated Annual Report and Accounts, for provision of accounting advice and guidance across the wider finance community in DCLG and for conducting assurance activities that support the accuracy and completeness of the general ledger and accounts. You will undertake a pivotal role within FRAT contributing to the production of the Department's Consolidated Accounts.
To succeed, you will be a high performing, fully qualified accountant, with advanced excel skills and financial reporting knowledge and experience. You will be able to understand and interpret accounting standards, analyse financial data and communicate and present information to suit the needs of the user. You will be a results-driven and ambitious team player who is able to work at a fast pace in a pressurised environment, has good attention to detail and the ability to build excellent working relationships at all levels. In the role, you will be exposed to a range of accounting issues and areas including financial instruments, pensions, provisions, finance leases and consolidated fund extra receipts (CFERs).
The team works flexibly so you will be expected to take on a variety of different tasks that support the consolidated annual report and accounts. You will be undertaking a pivotal role in the production of Quarters 2, 3 and 4 DCLG Consolidated Accounts and year end Whole Government Accounts return. You will work against a detailed project plan to ensure the accounts are produced in time, ultimately leading to the Annual Report and Accounts being laid before Parliament on time with an unqualified audit opinion.
- You will hold a recognised finance qualification (e.g. ICAEW, ICAS, ICAI, CIMA, ACCA or CIPFA)
- You will have recent and/or significant experience in technical finance roles
- You are familiar with using and applying International Accounting Standards to decide on appropriate accounting treatments
- You have got excellent financial analysis and appraisal skills.
- You will have the ability to collate information from a wide variety of sources to provide a comprehensive and concise resolution to problems.
- You might have knowledge and understanding of Government finance however we want to hear from candidates from all sector backgrounds. Previous candidates have come from audit, practice, financial services, banking and local government.
- Competitive salary package of £40,455 - £47,106 dependent on experience, plus benefits.
- 25 days annual leave, increasing annually to 30 days, plus public holidays and an extra day off for the Queen's birthday.
- A healthy work life balance
For more information about this vacancy, please contact Eleanor De Nardo on 0207 259 8745 or
Apply for Financial Accountant
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly