Senior Legal Counsel, Credit Lending and Governance
Credit / Lending:
* Assist with overall legal framework supporting credit and lending (including security documentation and credit risk mitigants) for client segments across CIB &CB, Retail, Private Banking and Wealth Management (ie. Clients)
* Set global standards on legal documentation for Lending for Clients
* Maintain close relationship with stakeholders, including from Clients and Risk and collaborate with stakeholders to review and enhance Risk policies relating to documentation
* Ensure consistency and coordination for Clients as to the impact of regulatory reform (including documentation changes, requests and repapering activities).
* Support the strategic intent and priorities of the Legal function and the SC Group, including by close liaison and mutual support from and with other parts of the Legal function, relevant businesses and functional groups, as required.
* Support global consistency and transactional support for Portfolio Management initiatives.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
Strategy and Leadership
- Demonstrate leadership and direction to legal teams on global standards on Credit and Lending matters for the Client Businesses
- Maintain close relationship with stakeholders, including from Businesses and Risk and collaborate with stakeholders to review and enhance Risk policies relating to documentation
- Promote the culture and practice of compliance with legal standards (including conducting business within legal and regulatory requirements, and to high ethical standards) within the Bank and embed a Here for good culture and the Group Code of Conduct.
- Develop thought leadership capability - as demonstrated by visibility within the Bank, and externally (in the industry and with regulators) as a senior point of contact for Credit and Lending matters within Clients and Products Legal
Clients Advisory and Transactional Support
- Implementing global standards and initiatives for legal matters in relation to Clients, including the Bank's position on departures from standard clauses, and applying a consistent approach to issues management
- To support and oversee legal teams supporting Clients and drive operational efficiencies/improvements.
* Work with Business Heads of Legal to ensure that the global template documents are fit for purposes and promote standardisation.
* To promote clarity and understanding of Credit and Lending documentation within the Bank.
- To support and implement global standards and initiatives for legal matters in relation to Portfolio Management
* Within the Group's overall Risk Management Framework, establish and maintain appropriate risk based legal frameworks for identifying, assessing, managing, monitoring, mitigating and reporting legal risks relevant to Credit and Lending matters across Clients.
* Develop and recommend (for approval by the relevant Committee), appropriate legal policies and procedures for Clients.
* Ensure appropriate product governance measures are in place for Credit and Lending, so that product approval documents reflect all relevant legal requirements.
* Establish and maintain effective processes (including training, advice and support) to ensure that policies, procedures and standards to address legal risks for Credit and Lending matters are effectively implemented across Clients.
* Ensure that the impact of regulatory reform (as advised by the Regulatory Reform Team) in relation to Credit and Lending or of general impact across Clients is implemented in a consistent manner across Clients and, where possible, coordinated across with reforms affecting other products, so that client impact is minimised and efficiently handled.
* Ensure that policies, procedures and standards to address legal risks are effectively implemented across Clients throughout the Group via early socialization with stakeholders in procedure design/parameters, ratification by appropriate committees, and ensure corresponding appropriate communication and training across footprint.
* Provide support to the Bank's senior management to ensure that they establish and monitor appropriate processes for compliance with legal policies, procedures and standards on Credit and Lending matters for Clients (including meeting legal obligations and maintaining high standards of conduct).
* Provide reports to relevant Group and Business risk and control committees and management group on key legal risks and issues on Credit and Lending matters.
* Represent Legal in the internal audits of Credit and Lending documentation and RWA initiatives impacting Credit and Lending.
* Ensure close coordination with Group Dispute Resolution Team/ GSAM for input into litigation cases concerning enforceability of documents.
Where external counsel is appointed, liaise with external counsel and ensure the scope of work is defined and appropriate, oversee the quality of work and manage external legal costs, and ensure appropriate overall matter management.
Qualifications and Skills
* Qualified to practice as a solicitor/attorney or barrister/advocate
* Relevant senior experience in private practice or in-house, including handling complex transactions
* Technical focus in Structured Finance and CRR
* Substantial experience in legal, compliance and regulatory risk management.
* Substantial experience in the banking industry, including demonstrated success in a similar role and industry engagement / participation.
* Ability to manage geographically dispersed and highly varied customer and product base.
* Ability to collaborate and work dynamically across country, region, business and group stakeholders.
* Understanding of best practice risk management techniques and frameworks.
* Understanding of the key features of relevant laws and regulations relevant to the Group.
* Sound judgement on business practices, regulatory relationship management, reputational risk.
How To Apply
You can search and view current opportunities across our organisation and apply immediately by visiting www.standardchartered.com and selecting Careers. To help speed up your application, please note the following:
- You will need to log in (or register if you are visiting our careers site for the first time) before you can apply for a specific role
- Some roles may require you to undertake an online talent assessment in addition to completing the application form (to facilitate this process it is preferable that you provide us with an email address as part of your contact information)
- We will ask you about your education, career history and skills and experience, it may be helpful to have this information at hand when completing your application
It usually takes 15 - 20 minutes to complete the application form; you can save your application at any time and return to complete it at your convenience.
The closing date for applications is 11/08/2017. Please note all closing dates are given in Hong Kong time (GMT + 8 hours). We aim to respond to successful applicants within four weeks and will keep a record or your application in our database so that we can contact you when suitable vacancies arise in future.
Diversity and Inclusion
Standard Chartered is committed to diversity and inclusion. We believe that a work environment which embraces diversity will enable us to get the best out of the broadest spectrum of people to sustain strong business performance and competitive advantage. By building an inclusive culture, each employee can develop a sense of belonging, and have the opportunity to maximise their personal potential.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Standard Chartered is an equal opportunity employer. We have a meritocratic culture where each individual employee is valued and respected for who they are as a person and for what they bring to the organisation.