The role of Management Accountant will provide significant support to the Finance Manager, producing high quality finance information to assist in the commercial running of the business.
The Horserace Betting Levy Board are a commercial and fully self-sufficient organisation, sponsored by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport. HBLB generate substantial revenues from the collection of a Levy on the gross profits of bookmakers on their British Horseracing Betting Business, with a predicted income of £85 million this year. The revenue generated is then distributed for the improvement of horseracing, and breeds of horses and for the advancement of veterinary science and education.
The successful candidate will play a crucial role within the finance team, supporting the Finance Manager to carry out his duties. The key responsibilities of the position will require you to:
- Prepare draft statutory financial statements, supporting schedules and evidence for the audit file and deal with queries from external auditors during the annual audit.
- Prepare monthly management accounts, cash flow statements, balance sheets, variance analyses and notes to the accounts.
- Produce monthly narrative for the Chief Executive, Finance Director and Finance Manager explaining the key trends observed in the management accounts.
- Prepare reconciliations between the management accounts and the accounting system.
- Maintain the fixed asset register for the Levy Board, including calculating and posting journals for monthly depreciation expense and any additions or disposals.
- Assist in the preparation of financial forecasts and annual budgets and any associated Board papers as required.
- Develop monthly phased budgets and monitor regularly to ensure departmental functions adhere to budgetary guidelines and implementation procedures.
- Monitor monthly spend against budgets and investigate variances as required to ascertain explanations for over/under-spends.
- Monitor cash balances and prepare cash flow projections to assist Finance Manager in making Treasury related decisions
The successful candidate will be an aspiring accountancy professional with good technical skills and a familiarity of IFRS. You will have strong interpersonal skills with the ability to interact with a range of different stakeholders. HBLB are a small and collaborative team, giving this role broad and varied exposure to the finance function, and face to face interaction with stakeholders both internal and external.
To fulfil this post, you will need to be confident on Excel (Intermediate).
It is desirable that the Management Accountant have an interest or understanding of the horseracing or betting industry.
The Management Accountant salary on offer will vary according to experience. Where specific UK qualifications are required we will take into account overseas equivalents. All third party applications will be forwarded to Michael Page.
Position Type: Full time to April 2019