APAC Head of Financial Crime Legal (Hong Kong / Singapore)
Barclays is a consumer, corporate and investment bank offering products and services across personal, corporate and investment banking, credit cards and wealth management, with a strong presence in our two home markets of the UK and the US.
With over 325 years of history and expertise in banking, Barclays operates in over 40 countries and employs approximately 130,000 people. Barclays moves, lends, invests and protects money for customers and clients worldwide. Please visit our website here for more information.
Managing Barclays' Legal risk is the fundamental responsibility of the Legal function. Our mission is 'to protect and create value for Barclays by managing legal risks and advancing opportunities', i.e., to protect and build the Bank. Our role includes:
- provision of business coverage and support, including drafting, negotiating and concluding commercial and transactional contracts, employment, intellectual property and transactional/deal support.
- oversight of and advice on regulatory relations.
- management of litigation
- management of competition l.aw matters and investigations.
- regulatory strategy and policy.
- Provide timely, high quality and commercially focused legal and regulatory advice to the business and legal partners on complex anti-money laundering (AML), counter-terrorist financing (CTF), financial sanctions, and anti-bribery and corruption (ABC) matters.
- Provide expertise and leadership for significant investigations involving AML/CTF, Sanctions and ABC.
- Lead policy efforts for significant AML/CTF, Sanctions and ABC issues.
- Interact with key Government stakeholders on AML/CTF, Sanctions and ABC issues.
To provide strategic leadership on legal issues relating to financial crime, working with other functions to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of financial crime risk management within the region and across the Bank, providing an effective oversight of and credible challenge on financial crime issues.
To deliver functionally excellent legal advice in relation to financial crime matters, with subject matter expertise in Anti-Bribery and Corruption (ABC), Anti-Money Laundering and Counter-Terrorist Financing and Sanctions.
To collaborate with Financial Crime Compliance (Sanctions, ABC, AML, FIU and the MLROs), Compliance (including Regulatory Compliance), Legal (particularly Litigation, Investigations & Enforcement), Audit and the businesses to ensure the delivery of an improved risk management strategy and culture within the region, including supporting financial crime projects, policy revisions and implementation.
To proactively seek to identify unmanaged risk and emerging trends and help deliver improved controls of sustainable value within the region and to the Bank globally.
To provide legal support to the Regional MLRO, Business MLROs and financial crime compliance teams in the region.
To collaborate with Litigation, Investigations & Enforcement and Financial Crime Compliance in the execution and management of investigations and enforcement actions relating to financial crime issues.
Where necessary, provide additional support on matters handled by the Financial Crime Legal team in EME region.
- Assist with the development and lead the implementation of governance, assurance and reporting across the financial crime legal team, including the provision of periodic Management Information.
- Assist with the development of and lead the implementation of guidance and escalation procedures within the financial crime compliance and legal functions.
- Agree and embed operational frameworks with key stakeholders in Risk, Compliance, Legal and the Businesses as appropriate.
- Assist in the preparation and delivery of training programmes within the Financial Crime Legal team and the wider legal function and, where necessary, to key business and senior stakeholders across the region.
- Actively participate in financial crime legal team activities and development opportunities.
- Support the Global Head of Financial Crime Legal in the leadership of the Financial Crime Legal team within the region to develop pragmatic, commercial and consistent best practice globally.
- Ensure delivery of functionally excellent financial crime legal services across the releva nt business units within the region and ensure consistency of approach with other regions.
- Support and advise the legal regional management team and other members of senior management within the region in relation to financial crime issues.
- Support the provision of strategic oversight of financial crime issues including advice in relation to thematic reviews, forthcoming industry issues, best practice sharing and standardised Barclays procedures.
- Provide strategic oversight and direction in support of Financial Crime projects, policy preparation and implementation.
- Provide timely, expert, pro-active legal advice on AML, CTF, ABC and Sanctions to stakeholders.
- Work with the Litigation, Investigations & Enforcement and IMI teams in the execution and management of investigations and enforcement actions relating to financial crime issues.
- Where providing legal services:
- maintain an appropriate balance of business knowledge and other legal expertise;
manage the balance of providing in-house legal advice or outsourcing to an external law firm;
- manage the provision of external support;
- maintain control, quality and consistency of external advice sought across the Bank;
- strictly maintain cost and budgeting discipline in external service purchasing;
drive high quality, cost effective and speedy sustainable resolution of legal issues;
- coordinate the development of processes, policies, and procedures designed to reduce legal risk throughout the financial crime practice group.
Stakeholder Management and Leadership
- Strategic leadership within the region to deliver the Financial Crime vision and strategy.
Advocate and embed the team vision and strategy within the team and more widely, champion a culture consistent with Barclays Values and make Financial Crime Legal a centre of excellence.
- Proactively build and maintain relationships with key stakeholders within Financial Crime Legal, Financial Crime Compliance, other legal functions and the businesses within the region.
- Manage the "hand-off" of work from Financial Crime Legal to other legal teams in order to maximise coverage and minimise duplication of work.
- Assess and build relationships with external law firms with appropriate financial crime expertise to ensure quality, consistency and cost control, and manage the balance between in-house and outsourced advice, prioritise commercial optimisation and identify where practicable means to reduce future costs but maintain or improve efficiencies.
- Engage and improve relationships with regulators, public authorities and other relevant law enforcement agencies in respect of financial crime issues where appropriate.
Risk and Control Objective
Ensure that all activities and duties are carried out in full compliance with regulatory requirements, Enterprise Wide Risk Management Framework and internal Barclays Policies and Policy Standards.
- Qualified lawyer (Solicitor, Barrister, Attorney or equivalent).
- Demonstrate post qualified (or post degree) experience in the areas of Bribery & Corruption laws including the UK Bribery Act and US Foreign Corrupt Practices Act; Legal and regulatory requirements in relation to anti-money laundering/terrorist financing and the proceeds of crime; Legal and regulatory requirements in relation to international economic sanctions and export controls generally; Fraud and other financial crime;
Court orders; Internal financial crime investigations; Regulated financial institutions.
- Excellent communicator, written and oral - clear and calm, gravitas.
- Strong presentation skills, high levels of energy and resilience.
- Ability to influence senior stakeholders to their point of view and maintain credibility with a senior audience.