Assistant Finance Manager
Robert Half are working with an Education body who are based in Bristol City Centre who are looking to recruit an Assistant Finance Manager to come in and help the Finance Team to lead the day to day accounts function to ensure a high standard of service for internal customers and other stakeholders. To support the development and application of robust systems and management information. To ensure compliance with all relevant legal/regulatory requirements and deploy finance-related procedures. To deputise for the Finance Manager when required.
- Oversee the operation and maintenance of Purchase Ledger and Sales Ledger
- Maintain the Nominal Ledger, supply and sales codes (incl. VAT aspects).
- Ensure that VAT transactions are coded appropriately, supporting budget holders as required.
- Update VAT control accounts on the financial ledger on a quarterly basis, following submission.
- Monitor and sign-off regular Purchase Ledger supplier payment runs
- Oversee regular reconciliations to help safeguard Bristol SU assets including weekly bank reconciliation
- Produce and circulate monthly Management Accounts to all departments ensuring the final version reconciles to the accounting system Trial Balance and budget owners monitor/ respond to their monthly reports
- Act as administrator for Bristol SU credit/debit/prepayment cards, overseeing the invoice process and monitoring associated service area procedures.
- Maintain the Fixed Asset Register on the accounting system and complete associated month and year end processes.
- Monitor Staff Expenses by regular review of the Expenses Log spreadsheet.
- Facilitate the reporting and analysis of Bristol SU's financial position (including but not limited to identifying & resolving potential errors and clarifying incoming messages/paperwork to ensure appropriate actions are taken).
- Provide support to all members, staff and Departments of Bristol SU, actively liaising with external parties and professionals as required (including VAT/HMRC, bankers, auditors)
Assist the Finance Manager in:
- Completing accurate and timely month-end processes including reconciliations, accruals, prepayments and other required accounting entries within the nominal ledger.
- Preparation of VAT returns, including supporting calculations & making appropriate payments to HMRC on a timely basis.
- Co-ordinating a robust reforecasting process, producing budget reforecasts and in-year forecasts as required.
- Co-coordinating the budget process.
- Continually reviewing and revising Finance Dept operating procedures as necessary to improve where required and reflect changes in e.g. personnel, structure
- Ensuring financial responsibility and budget ownership across Bristol SU and further developing two way communication between Finance and other teams to:
- Improve the clarity and effectiveness of Finance communications.
- Enable Finance to keep up to date with activities, developments and projects
- Providing support on all finance-related aspects of new activities, projects and enterprises:
- Identifying areas requiring Finance input and any implications on student requirements.
- Ensuring appropriate Finance support and guidance is provided.
- Reflecting changes in the accounting system and Management Accounts as appropriate.
- Implementing new processes and technologies to ensure maximum efficiency within the Finance Team.
- Preparing documentation for the external auditors as required.
- Part qualified accountant (ACCA/CIMA)
- AAT qualified or QBE
- Good standard of education including a minimum of good GCSE levels/equivalent in English and Maths.
- Experience working in a large, complex organisation.
- Experience in management or financial accountancy to include monthly accounts, budgets, forecasts and cashflows.
- Demonstrable experience of working in a team to meet operational targets in a customer focused and busy environment.
- Experience of producing written reports and presentations to a high standard.
- Experience of creating operational plans to fit with wider business objectives.
Salary: £25,000 - £26,000 per annum
Robert Half Ltd acts as an employment business for temporary positions and an employment agency for permanent positions. Robert Half is committed to equal opportunity and diversity. Suitable candidates with equivalent qualifications and more or less experience can apply.