Regional Tax Manager & CF Tax Lead
* Provide tax support to the CF business and ensure that the tax risk arising from business activities is well controlled and remains within risk appetite. Provide support to other CIB and Client Businesses in GCNA (ex Korea) where required. This role has supervisory responsibilities and therefore the Bank's supervisory principles must be followed.
* The role also supports the development & implementation of SCB Tax Strategy, specifically in relation to the development of appropriate post-tax framework (EVA, ROE)
Key Roles and Responsibilities
* Set the tax risk appetite for the CF business within group parameters.
* Influence the CF business strategy and related entity, liquidity and capital management strategies to take an after-tax view.
* Influence development of tax policy and enacting legislation relevant to the CF business that is sustainable and achieves the policy objectives with minimum compliance and collateral costs.
* Facilitate CF business transactions (and support to the businesses as required) - provide prompt, concise advice and practical solutions such that the business is able to transact in a timely manner and takes tax costs/ risks appropriately into account.
* Maintain relationships with key business & relevant associated stakeholders.
* Oversee the provision by external advisers of business tax advice to business.
* Ensure tax clauses in standard terms and an effective exceptions process operates.
* Proactively identify and execute on value opportunities that are consistent with the Group's Approach to Tax and Tax Policy.
* Sign off tax aspects of formal approvals such as global product programmes or business specific change in structure forms.
* Ensure impact assessments are undertaken for tax law changes with a material impact on the business tax profile within GCNA ex Korea.
* Proactively keep on top of tax developments & keep relevant business and associated stakeholders informed of significant impacts of these developments where relevant.
* Support Group/Country tax teams in the management of tax audits and controversies.
* Work closely with Country tax teams and Tax Specialist groups (Indirect, Transfer Pricing & CTIC teams) to provide support to businesses.
* Operate tax compliance processes for entities with an accountable executive within CF businesses (and other businesses where required), where agreed under the Tax Procedure.
* Complete tax risk assessment for the CF business and other GCNA business / product level where required.
* Ensure control assurance framework is sufficient to maintain tax avoidance risk within risk tolerance and to identify relevant tax compliance obligations, including transfer pricing and indirect & transactional taxes to the relevant process owner or specialist (where applicable).
* Deliver training to business and related control functions to support compliance with the Tax Procedure - Business.
* Ensure judgemental decisions regarding application of the Group's Approach to Tax and Tax Policy to transactions are appropriately escalated with a recommendation.
* Provide subject matter expertise to Financial Crime Compliance, as requested, with regard to tax evasion aspects of financial crime compliance.
* Assist Country Tax teams where required in discharging Tax RO responsibilities for GCNA countries (ex Korea) in accordance with the Tax Procedure.
* Assist in setting strategy for resolving controversy for GCNA countries (ex Korea) and drive any material settlement or litigation matters.
* Ensure relationships with GCNA (ex Korea) tax authorities and auditors are managed in a transparent, professional and constructive manner.
People and Talent
* Lead through example and builds the appropriate culture and values. Set appropriate tone and expectations from their team and work in collaboration with risk and control partners.
* Employ, engage and retain high quality people, with succession planning for critical roles.
* Ensure that holders of all critical functions in Group Tax are suitably skilled and qualified for their roles and that effective supervision is in place and appropriate ongoing training and development is available.
* Set and monitor job descriptions and objectives for direct reports and provide feedback and rewards in line with their performance against those responsibilities and objectives.
* Take personal responsibility for understanding the risk and compliance requirements of the role and communicating the same to the team. Understand and comply with, in letter and spirit, all applicable laws and regulations, including those governing anti-money laundering, terrorist financing and sanctions; the Group's policies and procedures; and the Group Code of Conduct. Effectively and collaboratively identify, escalate, mitigate and resolve risk and compliance matters.
* Embed the Group's values and code of conduct to ensure that adherence with the highest standards of ethics, and compliance with relevant policies, processes and regulations among employees form part of the culture.
* CF Global Business Heads, COOs & Associated stakeholders
* GCNA (ex Korea) Business Heads
* GCNA (ex Korea) Business COOs
* GCNA (ex Korea) COO, CFO, Legal, Compliance, ITO leads
* Policy leads at GCNA (ex Korea) Tax Authorities, Finance Ministries and where relevant Regulators
* Participation in relevant Banking Association Tax Committees (CMTC, ASIFMA, HKAB etc)
* Members of the Tax Leadership Team
* External Advisers and industry peers
* Perform other responsibilities assigned under Group, Country, Business or Functional policies and procedures.
Qualifications and Skills
COMPETENCIES (KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS):
* Significant post qualification international tax experience including direct experience of product/ transaction focused in-house Banking role
* Excellent stakeholder management skills, able to simplify complex tax matters for business stakeholders
* Capability to make sensible, real-time commercial and risk judgements and provide practical solutions
* Track record of delivery in a complex, global environment, including delivering the tax organisation on multi-jurisdictional transactions
* Credibility and communication skills to influence relevant tax policy development
* Capable people manager with excellent leadership skills and the ability to engage across a network located in multiple locations
* Knowledge of international tax legislation particularly within GCNA & APAC generally together with a good understanding of banking products & regulation is crucial. Knowledge of one or both of UK and US law would be well regarded.
* Professional Accountancy or Taxation qualification, CPA or CTA equivalent
How To Apply
You can search and view current opportunities across our organisation and apply immediately by visiting www.standardchartered.com and selecting Careers. To help speed up your application, please note the following:
- You will need to log in (or register if you are visiting our careers site for the first time) before you can apply for a specific role
- Some roles may require you to undertake an online talent assessment in addition to completing the application form (to facilitate this process it is preferable that you provide us with an email address as part of your contact information)
- We will ask you about your education, career history and skills and experience, it may be helpful to have this information at hand when completing your application
It usually takes 15 - 20 minutes to complete the application form; you can save your application at any time and return to complete it at your convenience.
Diversity and Inclusion
Standard Chartered is committed to diversity and inclusion. We believe that a work environment which embraces diversity will enable us to get the best out of the broadest spectrum of people to sustain strong business performance and competitive advantage. By building an inclusive culture, each employee can develop a sense of belonging, and have the opportunity to maximise their personal potential.