Financial Crime Investigator/ Financial Crime Senior Investigator
The BNP Paribas Group is a leader in banking and financial services, employing over 185,000 people across 75 countries and 5 continents. At BNP Paribas, we work continuously on behalf of our clients, helping them to realise their projects around the world. You can be an important part of this, helping us to serve our clients both in mature and emerging markets, providing them with financial solutions across a diverse range of expertise, products and services. Our origins lie in Europe but nearly a quarter of our employees now work in our multi-award-winning Asian offices and we are a committed player in all APAC markets.
In Asia Pacific, BNP Paribas has been present in the region for over 150 years and plans to grow its business from €2bl EUR to €3bl EUR by the end of 2016. With 9,000 employees in the region and a presence in 14 markets (with 3 main centres in Hong Kong, Singapore and Tokyo), BNP Paribas offers you the chance to grow with us in Asia Pacific.
An independent investigation team provides critical supports to the BNPP business units across Asia Pacific. Acting within the existing provisions of existing Group Policies & Procedures that, amongst others, confer to the bank's Inspection Generale/Periodic Control Function the right to initiate investigations on all matters at all times:
- Financial Crime Investigator/Financial Crime Senior Investigator, as part of the Permanent Control, has the responsibility for conducting any assigned internal/external investigations across the APAC region of a non-regulatory nature. Provide investigation support and assistance to other business partners (e.g. HR, IT Security), into cases such as sexual harassment; bullying/intimidation; unexplained work absences; use of drugs and alcohol at work (other than alcohol at organized work functions), Data Leakage cases etc.
- Financial Crime Investigator/Financial Crime Senior Investigator is required to combine both desk (Enhanced Due Diligence) and field investigation skills in order to investigate/analyze any complex cases.
- Financial Crime Investigator/Financial Crime Senior Investigator is required to conduct fund flow analysis on clients' accounts and able to articulate the transaction pattern in a formal investigation report.
- Financial Crime Investigator/Financial Crime Senior Investigator will investigate suspected incidents, such as internal/external fraud, internal employee wrongdoings, internal employee gross misconduct, Ethics matters, Enhanced Due Diligence Investigation under the direction of the Regional Director of Investigations, Asia Pacific.
- Financial Crime Investigator/Financial Senior Investigator maybe required to assist other investigations conducted by 2OPC & Anti-Fraud & Compliance, OPC and IT Security (e.g., suspected gift and entertainment violations, employee misconduct, data leakage, IT Security incidents, suspicious client activities (requiring close liaison with VPG) and suspicious client transactions); ensuring that the company interests are protected and in adherence with relevant statutory, regulatory and business regulations.
The Financial Crime Investigator/Financial Crime Senior Investigator is directly responsible for:
- Ability to investigate internal and external (i.e. clients, intermediaries, potential clients etc.) cases.
- Ability to multi task, analyze and interpret data, demonstrate sound judgment and independent decision making.
- Ability to work in a professional and consistent manner in close liaison with Compliance, HR, business heads, stakeholders and Legal as may be required.
- Constructs well written reports that highlight concerning activity and offer solutions as to identify control weaknesses.
- Establishes and builds a working relationship with stakeholders and management.
- Ability to plan and prioritize his/her own work well and is effective at time management.
- Sound knowledge of general investigative skills, standards and techniques used in investigation of financial and white collar crime, Anti-corruption and Money Laundering especially related to banking and associated business operations.
- Ability to investigate and research of suppliers, intermediaries, potential clients/clients through public records, commercial databases, media information, in house databases and discreet site visits to assess risks and identify if any derogatory information (i.e. Criminal records, bankruptcy records etc.) on the subjects.
- Ability to compile a written report in detailed narrative and provide analysis and findings of the investigative results.
- Ability to interview suspects, witnesses and internal employees in a professional manner.
- May assist Director of Investigations on fraud awareness training and special projects.
- Able to work with in-business partners, such as Anti-Fraud, Compliance, Internal Audit (IG), Human Resources and IT Security to implement appropriate controls and measures to protect company staff, assets, business operations, and intellectual property.
Competencies (Technical / Behavioural)
- At least 5-10 years' experience in a related and relevant financial crime and/or money laundering/terrorist financing investigative role in an international investment bank with a broad franchise across APAC.
- Experience with a government organized investigative body (e.g. a commercial crime bureau, Financial Investigation Unit, anti-corruption authority, tax authority or Law Enforcement Agency) will also be taken into consideration.
- Experience with Enhanced Due Diligence and AML Investigation is a plus.
- Membership of Certified Fraud examiners or other equivalent organization is a plus.
- Ability to work consistently and constructively under pressure.
- Must evidence attention for detail, and possess an investigative and questioning nature.
- Demonstrate capacity for sound project management and analytical skills.
- Demonstrate strong interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate and consult at all levels, especially with senior management.
- Committed to confidentiality, integrity and objectivity
- Ability to work independently on complex investigations.
- Ideally be computer literate, and experienced in working with case management and investigative tools (i.e. Nuix, i2 or similar tools etc.).
- Able to travel as may be required (sometimes with short notice) across the region.
- Asian language capability, especially Mandarin would be a distinct advantage. Ability to read and write Chinese essential. Excellent written and spoken English is also essential.