Analyst, Product Control Macro Balance Sheet
Barclays is a transatlantic consumer, corporate and investment bank offering products and services across personal, corporate and investment banking, credit cards and wealth management, with a strong presence in our two home markets of the UK and the US.
With over 325 years of history and expertise in banking, Barclays operates in over 40 countries and employs approximately 130,000 people. Barclays moves, lends, invests and protects money for customers and clients worldwide . Please visit our website here for more information.
Product Control is a global function with c1000 staff based in London, New York, South Africa, India and across the Asia Pacific region. Product Control is primarily responsible for understanding, substantiating and controlling the daily trading balance sheet and income statement for Barclays Investment Bank. This includes;
- The production of a comprehensive daily trading P&L and balance sheet
- The execution of regular independent price verification, ensuring that the appropriate accounting principles are applied
- Partnering with the firm's business areas and other support groups in facilitating new products and initiatives
- Developing and reporting management accounting information
Product Control has a significant presence and role within the organisation.
- There is a close working relationship with the trading desks and other areas focusing on control, service and reporting.
- We are a central point of contact for many issues that affect the bank including new product approval, model validation and independent verification of derivative valuations.
- Preparation and review of daily balance sheet, including understanding risk positions and market moves for key movement analysis and commentary.
- Proactively engage in detailed discussions with line controllers, traders and risk managers on risk positions to understand nature and movement in the balance sheet.
- Review and substantiation of balance sheet and P&L reconciliation of Sub-ledgers to the GL
- Review of all month end adjustments posted by the Line Controllers
- IFRS compliance for the business and manage Internal / External Audits
- Excellent Financial Accounting knowledge with thorough understanding of relevant, up to date accounting standards and product knowledge
- Must be proactive and assertive in driving control improvement for their area
- Excellent communication skills in both formal and informal settings & ability to interact with the region and as part of a global team (written and verbal). Ability to clearly and concisely communicate complex issues is a key requirement.
- Strong attention to detail and enjoys working in a fast paced and challenging environment
Risk and Control Objective
All Barclays colleagues have to ensure that all activities and duties are carried out in full compliance with regulatory requirements, Enterprise Wide Risk Management Framework and internal Barclays Policies and Policy Standards
Our customers deserve the best. The same goes for our employees. That's why at Barclays you'll receive a range of benefits that include a competitive salary and all the tools, technology and support you need to succeed.
Everything we do is shaped by the five values of Respect, Integrity, Service, Excellence and Stewardship. The values inform the foundations of our relationships with customers and clients, but they also shape how we measure and reward the performance of our employees. Simply put, success is not just about what you achieve, but about how you achieve it.
Dynamic working gives everyone at Barclays the opportunity to integrate professional and personal lives, if you have a need for flexibility then please discuss this with the hiring manager.
Barclays is an equal opportunity employer and are opposed to discrimination on any grounds. For more detailed information, please visit our dedicated Diversity and Inclusion site here .