APAC Conduct Risk Manager and Employment Lawyer, Vice President
Morgan Stanley is a leading global financial services firm providing a wide range of investment banking, securities, investment management and wealth management services. The Firm's employees serve clients worldwide including corporations, governments and individuals from more than 1,200 offices in 42 countries.
As a market leader, the talent and passion of our people is critical to our success. Together, we share a common set of values rooted in integrity, excellence and strong team ethic. Morgan Stanley can provide a superior foundation for building a professional career - a place for people to learn, to achieve and grow. A philosophy that balances personal lifestyles, perspectives and needs is an important part of our culture.
Professionals within Legal and Compliance provide a wide range of services to our business units. They might help to structure a complex and sensitive cross-border transaction; advise on a new product introduction; develop a training program or defuse an investor dispute. They preserve the firm's invaluable reputation for integrity and protect the firm from sanctions with policies and procedures that meet regulatory requirements around the world. They also strive to maintain cooperative relationships with governmental policy makers and the regulatory and self-regulatory agencies that govern the firm's businesses.
This role is for a full-time lawyer to join Morgan Stanley's Legal and Compliance Division in Hong Kong.
The successful candidate will primarily be responsible for the day-to-day management and administration of the firm's Conduct Risk framework. The candidate will also be expected to work with the Head of Employment Legal, APAC in providing employment law advice across the region on contentious and non-contentious matters.
- Day-to-day management and administration of the firm's Conduct Risk framework including assisting with conduct incident identification, assessment and tracking.
- Coordinate preparation of regular Conduct Risk reporting for Legal and Compliance, business units and the AsiaPac Conduct Risk Committee.
- Maintaining relevant charters and policies and coordinate roll out and training regarding the same.
- Providing expert legal support in the handling of personnel matters in APAC (including grievances, disciplinary and performance issues, equal opportunities, diversity, restructuring and redundancy matters) to Human Resources, management, business divisions, and infrastructure groups
- Advising on the investigation and management of employee-related conduct issues
- Drafting, maintaining and reviewing employment-related documents
- Handling employment-related disputes, including retention and management of external counsel, where required
- Employment law support in respect of outsourcing, offshoring, restructuring and other commercial initiatives
- Monitoring and advising on employment law developments across APAC and their implications for the Firm
- Coordinating/delivering training for Human Resources on employment law issues across APAC
Skills, Qualification and Experience
- At least 6 years post-qualification experience as an employment lawyer at either a top-tier law firm or large financial institution/multi-national corporation, including both contentious and non-contentious experience
- Excellent drafting, negotiation and communication skills (oral and written)
- A strong commitment to integrity and professionalism and to upholding the Firm's standards in the handling of personnel matters
- Demonstrable commercial and legal judgment (including the ability to assess risk and advise accordingly)
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to build and maintain relationships with colleagues worldwide
- Strong time management skills with the ability to execute on multiple tasks and prioritise appropriately
- Strong Excel and PowerPoint skills preferred
- Fluent in English
- Australia and/or UK qualified preferred