Business Data Analyst
This is a key appointment within the newly created FP&A team to the Group's longer-term financial strategy. This role reports directly to our FP&A Senior Analyst. As the first appointment within the FP&A team, this role will be fundamental to establishing the core foundations of the team. The role will require the development of reporting from the ground up in many areas, providing the opportunity to establish best practice.
The role will entail working with the FP&A Senior Analyst to build a suite of commercial financial information and produce outputs ranging from static Key Performance Indicator (KPI) reports to dynamic Business Intelligence (BI) dashboards to support analysis and decision making across the business, with a focus on financial impact.
On a day-to-day basis the role will focus on querying data from a data warehouse ensuring all data required for analysis is accessible and clearly defined, preparing regular weekly and month reporting using this data and preparing adhoc deep dive data analysis as required for business projects. You will also work closely with the FP&A Senior Analyst to understand and present this information in an easy to digest way by multiple users to support decision making, drive performance and enhance profitability for the group.
Supporting the FP&A Senior Analyst with reporting and analysis across the business. Responsibilities to include:
- * Preparing weekly and monthly reporting across the business including trading, sales performance, contribution, postage and operations.
- * Writing commentary to summarise findings or trends for consumption across the business.
- * Identifying opportunities for, and support with, implementation of improvements to business reporting processes such as with automated access to data.
- * Developing and designing new reports and dashboards for use across the business using a variety of tools such as MS Excel and BI tools (eg Qliksense).
- * Supporting the FP&A Senior Analyst with data analysis, investigation, problem solving and commentary to drive business decision making.
- * Support with communicating and explaining business information to the end users (e.g. through excel dashboards, BI tools, and presentations)
- * Support with maintaining and developing excel models across the business for forecasting and planning.
- * Adhoc reporting, analysis and support as required across the full P&L including environmental impact reporting and adhoc projects.
The successful individual will possess a commercial approach to data analysis. Most importantly, they will have a strong technical background working with large datasets and databases for commercial business purposes.
The individual will have a strong academic record and may be studying towards (or have a desire to study towards) a professional financial qualification (e.g. AAT, CIMA) although this is not a requirement.
The individual will have a passion for understanding the key drivers within a complex business through data analysis. The individual will be able to develop this understanding by accessing multiple data sources and concisely summarising this data into information and communicating though standard and adhoc reporting as required across business.
Given the complexity of our business and our desire for high quality output the individual will also need to possess:
- * Intermediate/Advanced Excel skills (if statements, vlookups, sumifs, PowerQuery, VBA, macros etc.)
- * A passion for data integrity coupled with good financial understanding
- * High standards of accuracy, with thorough checking being part of their approach to all tasks
- * A desire to automate and improve business information flows
- * Ability to access and handle large complex structured and unstructured datasets
- * Ability to problem solve both independently and with support
Excellent stakeholder management with an approachable personality to work across the business. Ideally the individual will also have
- * Experience of SQL and BI software tools (Qlik Sense or Power BI in particular) or a strong willingness to learn
- * Finance/IT/Science background
- * AAT/CIMA Certificate qualification