This role would suit candidates who have accounting experience, possibly as an assistant accountant, and who are looking to take the next step in their career progression and assume more responsibility and autonomy.
The Management Accountant will work under the guidance of the Financial Controller and will be responsible for preparing the accounts, from beginning to end, of the investment management company and associated companies. They will also assist with the administration of the Company’s clients, including valuing their portfolios, settling trades, foreign exchange transactions, preparing net asset value calculations, company secretarial work, preparing for Board Meetings, preparing and issuing Stock Exchange releases, arranging and managing bank facilities, etc. They will also be responsible for day to day cash management and other tasks required within the finance department. To the extent that they do not have experience of any of the aforementioned tasks they will be trained on the job.
Blue Planet Investment Management Ltd is based in the West End of Edinburgh nearby Haymarket Station. It provides investment management and fund administration services to investment and family trusts. Being a smaller company, its employees get the opportunity to take on much more responsibility than they would in larger organisations and gain a much broader experience of all aspects of the fund management business. They are also able to work on their own initiative and are given considerable autonomy and flexibility. Highly motivated, intelligent people with an enquiring mind, professional attitude to business and a friendly, outgoing personality, fit in well. Office hours are 9:00am to 5:30pm, Monday to Friday. Holiday entitlement is 25 working days per annum, excluding bank holidays. A defined contribution pension scheme is available. Full study support will be provided in the attainment of relevant qualifications.
Knowledge, Experience and Qualifications
- Minimum 2-3 years’ experience in a similar role; experience in all aspects of account production from the payment and issuance of invoices to liaising with auditors over the final accounts.
- A sound knowledge of all IT systems used by accounts function such as Microsoft Office.
- An assertive, balanced and positive attitude.
- Studying towards, or intending to study towards, a recognised accounting qualification.
Key Job Responsibilities
- Production of timely & accurate monthly & annual accounts for the Company and associated companies; circulating these to Board members and dealing with any queries.
- Produce annual budget for the Company and associated companies.
- Cash flow management of Company and associated companies, including FX dealing and processing.
- Liaise with auditors for the Company and associated companies.
- To prepare all FCA & VAT returns to ensure timely & accurate submission
- Preparing cash posts and processing data for the companies and client investment trusts into the accounting system.
- Responsible for ensuring that timely and accurate custody and settlement administration is attained for the client’s investment trust including instructing trades and liaising with brokers to ensure settlement.
- Preparing weekly Net Asset Values (NAV) calculations for the client investment trust.
- Responsible for the timely and accurate logging of invoices, processing the same for payment and ensure all credit timelines are met.
- Responsible for the organisation of Board meetings, preparing Board materials and taking minutes.
- Various other tasks as required within the department
Key Competencies and Personal Qualities
Candidates must be:
- trustworthy, professional and have a meticulous attention to detail.
- able to produce accurate accounts, free from errors, on time.
- able to address situations in a constructive, positive and professional manner.
- have good communication and assessment skills, and
- the ability to exercise assertiveness and authority when required.
Remuneration is negotiable and will depend on experience