Assistant Management Accountant
A part qualified candidate is needed for this new, permanent in Headington.
Your new company
Experience required for post: Budgeting, strategic planning, monitoring and reporting. Supporting budget managers. Providing training on Financial Regulations, use of financial systems and budget monitoring. Exemplary communication and organisational skills. Significant experience in a finance office or similar environment and demonstration of substantial and relevant financial management experience.
Overall Purpose of post: To support the Directorate Management Accountant and Head of Finance and Planning for the Directorate (HoFP) with all aspects of management accounting and financial reporting, raising awareness of University financial procedures and implementation of SORP accounting standards. This role will support the Marketing & Communications and Strategic Change and Planning directorates.
Your new role
1. To deputise in absence of the DMA and attend senior management team and budget holder meetings representing the Director of Finance and Legal Services, and collaborating and cross-working with finance colleagues across the University departments and faculties.
2. To prepare and present monthly financial reports to Department Heads and other budget holders, assist with analysis of variations to budget, interpretation of the financial position, provide support and challenge to the budget holder forecast to year end, action changes and corrective journals and communication of any key information.
3. Work with budget holders to build the budget and financial forecasts that feed into the Directorate 5 year plans and the University overall plan. Build in the assumptions on payroll and non-payroll inflation and other known factors as provided by the Director of Finance and Legal Services and liaise with the budget holder to understand internal and external factors impacting the budget. Ensure that the budget holder fully understands and accepts the budget proposals and any savings plans required.
4. Support the budget holders to prepare an accurate year end position. Carry out the actions required in line with the guidance and timetable provided by the Head of Financial Accounting.
5. Answer questions and provide evidence in a complete and timely way to the external auditors.
6. Train budget holders and financial administrators in the directorates on the Financial Regulations and the correct use of the e5 financial system as appropriate.
7. Provide financial and performance analysis on spend to show, for example, trend analysis, breakdown of spend by contractor, etc., and present to budget holders and senior management team as required. Translate complex information into an understandable format.
8. Meet all key financial deadlines set by central finance in terms of month and year end, planning and reporting as directed.
9. Work closely with Finance colleagues across the University to ensure best practice is maintained at all times and that latest guidance from central finance is implemented.
10. Work collaboratively with the DMA and budget holders in the directorate, including central finance to define and cost improvement projects, ensuring the costs are comprehensive and accurate and correctly allocated to capital and revenue and are built into the budget at the correct time.
11. Manage all financial matters associated with the role in accordance with the University's Financial Regulations and other associated policies and procedures.
12. Any other duties required to fulfil the role.
What you'll need to succeed
GCSE passes in English and Maths; A' Levels or equivalent; AAT or part-qualified accountant.
What you'll get in return
An attractive salary and generous pension package.
Study support to become a fully qualified accountant.
Potential to make this a part time role / four days per week.
What you need to do now
If you're interested in this role, click 'apply now' to forward an up-to-date copy of your CV, or call us now.
If this job isn't quite right for you but you are looking for a new position, please contact us for a confidential discussion on your career.