Finance Business Partner - Commercial Income
The Defra Group Finance: Natural England Team is looking for a Commercial Income specialist to work within our existing Income and Growth funding workstream.
We are looking for someone with commercial acumen who can develop relationships and promote this culture change against a backdrop of reduced public funding.
You will contribute to the key accountabilities of the workstream:
- Working with colleagues and stakeholders to support development and delivery of major income generation programmes, providing guidance on the legitimacy and usage of funding steams for a public sector body such as Natural England, up to final audit stage;
- Understanding the impact of new income streams on Natural England’s budget outturn and future years budgetary implications including feeding into Spending Reviews. Ensuring clear understanding of financial implications, that relevant financial controls are in place and supporting robust forecasting and budgeting.
- Analysing Commercial income performance against targets and identifying risks and/or opportunities, including production of monthly management reports.
- Providing guidance, training and expert financial advice on income management issues, based on a thorough knowledge and understanding of the latest accounting principles and practice;
- Ensuring financial rigour is applied to business cases, cost recovery and the accounting of chargeable services;
- Ensuring that VAT rules are appropriately applied to all income generated.
- Production of Commercial Income trading account to be incorporated into the Annual Report and Accounts
- Working with stakeholders to develop enhanced reporting via Qlik solutions
- Qualified or Part qualified CCAB Accountant (or equivalent qualification).
- Applying a wide range of strong technical skills across a wide range of financial disciplines and applying them to the customers you support.
- Working with senior financial and non-financial colleagues to deliver improved performance and value for money
- Good relationship management skills and personal credibility with senior stakeholders
- Strong written and oral communication skills and presenting information clearly to senior audiences to enable decision making
- Analytical, data management and modelling skills and the capacity to get senior leadership to focus on critical issues
- Critically reviewing financial statements and business areas’ financial situation to evaluate performance, identify risk and examine likely outcomes.
- Knowledge of VAT rules and regulations in respect to income and chargeable services
- Excellent IT skills required particularly MS Excel, Word and experience in the use of a modern (preferably Oracle) accounting system.
- Meeting targets and delivering quality outcomes within tight deadlines through effective prioritisation.
- Developing financial awareness in colleagues and enhancing their development
- Supplier facing contract financial management to secure benefits, realise new opportunities and avoid cost growth.
- Learning and development tailored to your role
- An environment with flexible working options
- A culture encouraging inclusion and diversity
- A Civil Service pension
- 25 days leave + bank holiday
Peterborough preferred, but willing to consider applicants based in other regions. Candidates must be willing to travel in the course of their duties as and when required.