Interim Deputy S151 Officer
Local Government Head of Finance
Your new company
Southend-on-Sea Council has an urgent requirement for an Interim Deputy S151 Officer, for a period of approx. 6 months Reporting to the Strategic Director, Finance and Resources (S151 officer), acting as both a line manager and as part of the Finance and Resources Management Team, you will also act as Deputy Chief Finance Officer for the purposes of S151, and member of the Council's Strategic Leadership Group
Your new role
- Strategic Financial Business Partner to Deputy Chief Executives, Chief Executive and Leader of the Council.
- Line management responsibility for Accountancy and Insurance across all aspects of the Unitary Authority (£360M gross), delivering a full finance business partnering service to the organisation
- Responsibility for the continuous improvement of financial management and accountability within the core finance function, and wider across the organisation, keeping the finance function fit for purpose, relevant and robust for the challenges facing local government
- Co-ordination of the delivery of a robust, balanced outcome focussed budget for the General Fund and Housing Revenue Account, including the critical challenge of savings proposals, alongside the preparation and stress testing of the wider medium term financial strategy
- Robust, transparent on-going budget monitoring giving assurance to Members and Corporate Management Team, incorporating a full analysis of budget pressures and forecast outturn
- Co-ordination of year-end reporting, including consolidation of schools and company accounts, and production of charity and trust accounts
- Regular interaction with elected members, particularly around budget making. Regular attendance at Cabinet, Scrutiny and Audit Committee
- Refresh of Financial Regulations to ensure they are maintained as fit for purpose, and complimentary to financial systems
- Financial client for Southend's Arm's Length Housing Management Organisation, South Essex Homes, and strategic oversight of the Housing Revenue Account; including on-going review of the management agreement, relevance of ALMO status, and driving efficiencies out of the company
- Delivery of training in areas such as local government finance, financial management, and budget making and monitoring, including to Members.
There are a number of specific areas you will lead on
- On-going Local Government Resource review, fair funding and business rates retention
- Member of the Partnership Board for A Better Start, Southend, and chair of the Finance and Risk Group, as part of a successful £40m Early Years and Early Years Public Health Big Lottery bid "fulfilling lives; a better start", including on-going work with London School of Economics to prove the long term economic benefit of universal early prevention.
- Finance lead for the competitive dialogue procurement for a partner for "Better Queensway"; a £500M regeneration proposal for a town centre housing estate, and wider housing investment proposals, including land assembly, highway realignment and determination of on-going governance structures. Council representative on the resultant joint venture vehicle, Porters Place Southend LLP
- Financial lead for residential care home review, incorporating new ways of service delivery through a Local Authority Trading Company, and capital reprovision of purpose built facilities
- Financial negotiation of the Better Care Fund and on-going pool fund manager; on-going monitoring of delivery and analysis of BCF outcomes, and work on the wider Health and Social Care Pioneer integration
- Finance lead for the development of the Council's Housing Strategy and Housing Investment Strategy, working to create a development pipeline
What you'll need to succeed
You must be a qualified Accountant with extensive experience of Local Authority Accounting at the highest level, ideally within a Unitary Council. You should be available immediately or at short notice.
What you'll get in return
This is a 6 month role, and will be paid In-scope of IR35, your daily rate will be £500 - £700 a day dependant on your experience and location
What you need to do now
If you're interested in this role, click 'apply now' to forward an up-to-date copy of your CV, or call us now.
If this job isn't quite right for you but you are looking for a new position, please contact us for a confidential discussion on your career.