Finance Graduate / Trainee Accountant Liverpool Head Office
About the Role
We are currently looking for Finance Graduate / Trainee Accountant to join the team here at Matalan. As a Trainee Accountant, you will work alongside a group of both parts and fully qualified accountants and be given an opportunity to take the responsibility very early on in your career to be able to challenge and drive value across the business, through the building of effective working relationships.
- Proactively building key relationships and acting as a business partner to a number of areas across the business, ensuring that there is transparency and a thorough understanding of the cost base.
- Deliver effective and timely financial information, particularly in the form of cost reviews, always with the stakeholders in mind, thereby ensuring that their needs are met if not exceeded.
- Challenge costs and identify areas of opportunity to be more cost effective and maximise profitability, working with the business areas to put ideas into practice.
- Accurately account for costs associated with specific areas of the business in line with International Financial Reporting Standards.
- Contribute to the financial planning of the business, primarily through the production of short term rolling views and biannual budgets.
- Perform variance analysis in order to understand and explain why costs have out-turned differently to budget/prior year and follow through on any actions in order to mitigate impacts on the financial year’s profitability.
- Minimum of 2:1 degree classification, academically strong and highly numerate.
- Commitment to study the CIMA qualification, whilst working full time.
- Ability to perform well as part of a team, working calmly under pressure and delivering to deadlines.
- Confident in managing changing priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- Hard-working and committed to delivering high-quality work, exceeding expectations
- Strong interpersonal skills, confident and engaging when dealing with stakeholders.
- Demonstrates initiative and an eagerness to learn and develop personally, together with a desire to take on increasing responsibility in the workplace.
Founded in the early 1980s by John Hargreaves in Liverpool, Matalan is a family retail business that is proud to serve its customer excellent quality at great value. With over 200 stores in the UK, a growing online presence and over 15,000 employees, working here is exciting, collaborative, challenging, and above all fun! As part of the Matalan family, you can expect some great benefits and the opportunity to be part of our exciting vision - to become the UK’s most trusted value retailer. This is Retail Made Real.
In the event that a high volume of suitable applications are received, the post may close prior to the specified closing date. Please apply as soon as possible if interested.