The role is initially a 3 month temporary position, after which you will have the opportunity to apply for the permanent role.
Your work will focus around supporting the Finance Business Partner, assisting them by providing detailed financial information information and reporting.
My client is a well known public sector organisation, who have consistently been one of Bristol's most sought after companies to work for.
The key aspects of the will include but not be limited to;
- Taking a proactive role in the monitoring, forecasting of and reporting on accounts, and resolving queries as required.
- This involves ascertaining invoicing requirements for each account, checking the correct treatment of VAT has been applied, ensuring all indirect costs are calculated correctly and other expenditure is within the terms of the budget.
- Meeting with budget holders on a regular basis, updating them on the status of their account & taking a lead on any action required.
- To produce both interim and end of period financial reports for key stakeholders. To ensure that this reconciles to the main accounting system and has been fully audited.
- To be the first point of contact for day to day financial management queries and activities for colleagues, providing advice and guidance to managers and staff on financial matters and ensuring that all income and expenditure for each account is maximised as per guidelines.
- To produce routine and customised reports for all staff and colleagues incorporating funders rules and regulations as well as ensuring data is presented clearly for all users to understand.
- To be responsible for entering budgets onto the accounting system, particularly for research grants and other external funds, and to update such as and when new information becomes available.
- Assist the Deputy Finance Business Partner in providing detailed budgets for core Faculty/Professional Services Division accounts which are then uploaded to the accounting system via a pre-defined process.
- Build & maintain strong working relationships with budget holders & key administrative staff within the business
- To liaise with external bodies in order to ensure the smooth running of all accounts.
- To liaise with relevant staff regarding the appointment of external auditors for the end of period reports. To liaise with the auditors over the information and other documentation required before, during and after the audit in order for them to complete the audit certificate.
- To act as an authorised signatory, having authority to approve orders, expense claims and fees up to the value of £5K per transaction. To ensure that the expenditure is viable against the account concerned and also that there are sufficient funds available before the order is placed.
- To manage staff costing end dates and timesheets, produce costings against budget, updating HR and Payroll records ensuring forecasting data is updated for externally funded posts.
- To ensure income is invoiced in a timely manner and in accordance with the contractual requirements.
- Working with other members within the Finance process in making system and process improvement recommendations, implement changes and new procedures as and when required, and to ensure reporting meets the requirements of the Finance team and wider business units.
- Be active in relevant groups, effectively contributing to achieve best practice procedures across the business.
- Demonstrable commitment to excellent customer service
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills, incorporating creative thinking
- Ability to analyse data, making judgements and decisions, to ensure the correct accounting treatment
- An understanding of accounting techniques and definitions
- An awareness of VAT regulations relating to both sales and purchasing transactions.
- An awareness of data protection legislation.
- Relevant Qualifications
- Association of Accounting Technicians (AAT) qualification (at least part qualified)
- Working towards a CCAB accounting qualification (ACA, ICAS, CIMA, CIPFA, ACCA etc.)
- Communication and Interpersonal Skills
- Good communication skills, with the ability to present financial information to non finance colleagues
- Good written skills
- Ability to organise self effectively, working to deadlines especially with competing demands
- Ability to work under pressure, particularly during the year-end process.
- Ability and willingness to learn new procedures and ideas quickly
- Ability to respond positively to change, and manage implementation
In return, my client can offer one of Bristol's most desirable working environments, as well as a hughly competitive pay rate of between £25,000 & £29,000 depending on your level of qualfiication and experience.