Head of Financial Planning & Analysis
The postholder will have responsibility for delivering our continuous improvements across: Management Accounts' processes, Workforce Planning, Forecasting and Project Budgeting. The postholder will also be responsible for developing robust relationships with Business Managers and frontline business areas whilst providing effective insight to aid decision-makers.
This is a pivotal role withib Public Sector and Government, working closely with the Asistant Director of Finance, providing support as the areas above will become more prevalent when HMT undertake the next Spending Review, preperations for EU Exit and the agency's property move to Canary Wharf.
The postholder will ensure that budgets are well constructed, managed and monitored whilst using their technical knowledge and ability to work constructively across the business to be a valued contributor within the decision-making process. The postholder will use strong technical and influencing skills combined with a sound understanding of the business to provide advice, challenge and scrutiny to senior colleagues.
The Head of Financial Planning & Analysis responsibilities will include:
- Leading on the preparation and management of the annual 'business as usual' budget which in 2019/20 is c£69m for resource spending and c£2m for capital spending
- Development and delivery of various budget setting and reforecasting exercises, considering; internal cost centre restructure, the expanding role in preparation for the UK's exit from the EU, and the agency's property move to Canary Wharf in July 2019
- Effectively leading the high performing FP&A team, with direct line management of a Management Accountant and as countersigning officer of two Project Accountants, ensuring their ongoing development and working to further integrate the team into the wider business
- Improving forecasting accuracy, including drafting new guidance and training sessions for Business Managers and budget holders to build financial and commercial awareness across the business whilst working closely with colleagues to understand variances in spend and provision of budgeting advice
- Maintaining and developing the significant improvements made in Management Accounts, ensuring that the business understands the financial implications of decisions, including providing analysis to support decision making and using benchmarking to highlight opportunities and add value
It is essential that you can provide evidence and examples for each of the following selection criteria in your application:
- A fully qualified CCAB accountant (ACA, ACCA, CIMA, CIPFA) with significant experience of working as an effective finance business partner in a fast paced, high profile environment
- Significant strategic finance/financial management experience (planning, budgeting, forecasting, in-year reporting)
- Strong quantitative and analytical skills (including the use of Excel for data manipulation, analysis, modelling and reporting) and personal credibility to present complex financial issues to senior management
- Knowledge and experience of central government finance and the associated financial reporting rules including HM Treasury (FReM) and NAO requirements, and an understanding of HMT's public spending framework (Managing Public Money, Consolidated Budgeting Guidance, etc)
- Experience of project accounting to manage projects and an understanding of the associated financial management implications.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, oral and written, including reporting to Senior Directors, Committees and Boards.
£50,000 - £55,000
Civil Service Pension
Head of Financial Planning & Analysis, Public Sector and Government, London