School experience with FMS
Main Purpose of the Job
- To provide a comprehensive, highly effective and efficient financial support service to the Service Business Manager by undertaking the day-to-day maintenance of the Service's Financial System (FMS).
- To maintain and develop highly effective and efficient financial procedures and systems within the Service and ensures compliance with the Financial Management Standard in Schools as it applies to the Service to the highest possible standard
- To ensure financial procedures are in line with principles of sound financial control and complies with statutory requirements and deadlines from the DfE, Local Authority and the Management Committee and Sub-Committees.
Under the leadership of the Service Business Manager the Finance Officer will be responsible to the Headteacher, Management Committee and the LA for effectively managing and monitoring the Service Budget to the highest possible standard. The post holder must be able to manage her own time effectively often against conflicting priorities. A Financial Management:
- To assist the Service Business Manager in the preparation and drafting of the annual budget, taking into account regular financial commitments
- Ensuring that orders and invoices are allocated to the appropriate spend areas and highlight any under/over spend at an early stage to the SBM
- The skills and ability to create complex financial statistics and reports, which will involve undertaking complex and advanced analysis of data, requiring knowledge and skills in a specialist discipline
- To prepare accurate and regular reports for the Service Business Manager and Headteacher to ensure efficient and effective control of income and expenditure.
- To produce an accurate monthly percentage financial report and discuss with the Business Manager at a monthly meeting, producing detailed ledger reports for any budget codes which are overspent and answering any queries on any budget codes.
- To invoice external bodies for payments and reimbursement, record and allocate income.
- To be responsible for the service financial management system (FMS) and oversee the production of efficient, accurate and timely information for the Governors, the Local Authority and the DfE.
- To be proactive, innovative and creative in your approach to problem solving on a daily basis
- Together with Financial Consultants to prepare the final/year end accounts and send documents to the LA
- To be responsible for the decision to use and safe keeping of the service credit card appropriately across the service and monthly reconciliation to FMS, raising any discrepancies to the Business Manager.
- To be an online administrator for the two school credit cards - liaising with the Natwest Bank on any queries regarding expenditure, resetting passwords and checking spending for the month.