Group Head of Accounting Policies
This position will provide active oversight and assistance with the regions with respect to technical financial reporting matters. The role incorporates responsibility over accounting policy assessment on M&A opportunities and integrations and global accounting policy adoption for new rules and standards.
My client is a family of 61 premium international schools, based in 28 countries around the world. They offer personalised, inspiring learning to more than 61,000 students between 2 and 18 years old.
- Updates on developments in IFRS
- Technical accounting review of significant and unusual transactions
- Provision of IFRS training
- Effective and efficient resolution of accounting policy issues, with assistance from the Group Financial Controller.
- Timely communication of key issues and decisions with the Group Financial Controller and CFO, including formal updates through Group Accounting Issues meetings and a Group Accounting Issues tracker
- Regular discussion on IFRS developments.
- Review as needed of the accounting of significant or unusual transactions.
- Provision of IFRS training on hot topics where required, e.g. revenue recognition.
- Seeking of technical assistance from external auditors where required and sharing of significant contract accounting papers.
- Group Accounting Issues meetings and tracker in place to communicate accounting issues formally.
- Accountability for technical accuracy and completion of accounting issue papers
- Review of IFRS financial statements disclosures
- Provide guidance on new accounting requirements
- Accounting papers in place for all significant contracts.
- Sign-off on financial statements disclosures.
- Accountability for the group accounting policy manual
- Interpret requirements in a way the school finance teams will understand
- Implementation of new accounting and reporting requirements
- Issue identification with material acquisitions, during the due diligence and integration phases
- Group accounting manual is relevant, complete, accurate and user-friendly.
- Sign-off on acquisition project documentation and contracts from an accounting perspective.
Professional and Personal Development
- Whilst the role is an individual contributor there is an expectation that the individual is able to provide support, training and guidance to the global team on new accounting requirements
- Self-starter responsible for ensuring keep up-to-date on new accounting requriements
- Provide quarterly (as required) accounting updates to Regional & Central Finance teams
- ACA/ACCA qualified
- Experienced senior manager at a large (top 10) accounting firm, or equivalent senior experience within a technical accounting department of a multinational organisation.
- Experience with resolving complex counting issues and transactions.
- Ability to challenge and influence management
- Highly analytical
- Excellent accounting policy knowledge, in particular IFRS
Application of accounting policy to complex contracts and acquisitions
A highly competitive package