We are proud to be working together with the University of Reading on an exciting opportunity that has arisen in the Finance Division for a Financial Accountant. The role is an integral member of the Financial Accounting team and will contribute significantly to the preparation of the group accounts and will lead the production of the subsidiary and trust accounts.
The University of Reading is ranked within the top 200 universities worldwide with 94% of graduates in work or further study within six months of graduating. They are a long standing and prestigious organisation that takes pride in its ability to provide top standard education whilst also striving to be a valuable contribution to the local community. The University has three beautiful UK campuses, with the Whiteknights campus winning awards for its green, open spaces making it a great place to work.
Reporting into the Group Financial Accountant, you will lead the preparation of key sections of the University's consolidated financial statements and will produce all subsidiary and Trust statutory accounts. You will also ensure the correct accounting treatment of all transactions involving intercompany, endowment and trust activities and provide reporting as necessary.
The role would suit a qualified accountant with strong technical accounting knowledge, including knowledge of Higher Education SORP. The role will also produce all external regulatory reporting including the TRAC and HESA returns.
Attention to detail and the ability to interact effectively at all levels within the University, and externally, is key to the role as you will be expected to assist with driving improvements across the whole finance function and work closely with the Finance Senior Management Team. The role is also responsible for ensuring all control accounts and general ledger balances are reconciled at each period end and any discrepancies followed up and resolved.
You will also be responsible for the management and development of a Technical Accounting Assistant, so strong communication and management skills are highly desirable. A drive to continuously improve processes and drive change across the function is also required as they further look to improve the service they provide.
The Other key responsibilities will be:
- Prepare the University's and other UK legal entities' statutory reporting, including financial statements and associated notes, ensuring compliance with the current SORP and statutory reporting requirements.
- Prepare funding body and other regulatory returns including TRAC, TRAC(T), HESA Finance Record, HESA, EMR, HE-BCI, NCTL, TCIF and OfS Accountability Returns.
- Act as a key contact and coordinator of the year-end and other audits, ensuring all requirements are met and any queries satisfactorily resolved.
- Respond to and provide all analysis and explanations required by funding bodies and similar organisations. Liaise with the funding bodies where appropriate on returns and reports, responding to any queries and ensuring all are satisfactorily resolved.
- Ensure all relevant period end and year end routines are completed liaising closely with the Financial Planning and Strategy team. Ensure the processing of all entries into Unit 4 Business World (Agresso) is carried out efficiently, accurately and timely, liaising closely with the Transactional Services Team.
- Ensure the correct accounting treatment of all transactions involving intercompany, endowment and trust activities. Ensure inter-company balances are reconciled and agreed and that all overseas Trial Balances are correctly loaded into U4BW. Provide reporting as necessary.
- Ensure the pension scheme liabilities are correctly accounted for and disclosed and produce the monthly and year end accounting for the University's associate relationship with its student accommodation provider.
- Produce balance sheet forecasts and assist in the production of the University tax returns.
- Ensure all policies and procedures are correctly followed at all times and, if appropriate, ensure these are still valid and relevant to the University both currently and going forward.
- Review routine reports provided by Investment Fund managers, and ensure journals accounting for endowments and investments, including those based on Investment Fund managers, are processed
- Ensure the preparation, review and distribution of quarterly reports to Prize Fund Holders.
The Ideal candidate will:
- Hold a CCAB accounting qualification
- Have demonstrable experience of strong technical accounting practice
- Able to communicate well at every level of employment
- Have strong System and IT skills
- Have demonstrable experience of reconciling data from a variety of source
- Have the ability to apply rules and regulations to issues
The University of Reading is offering a competitive salary and benefits package as well as the less tangible benefit of an internal ethos that focuses on the development and training of their staff.